These little puddings are perfect in the steam oven as the mixture ends up making a delicious chocolate custard under the pudding. We all know that the steam oven is great for delicate things like custard and everyone loves a little surprise in their pudding!
Quick and easy to make if you have all the separate elements ready to go at the last moment. I would suggest only cooking this in individual dishes that can be filled almost to the top as the mixture will drop a little when removed from the oven. *If you want to stretch it to 5 puddings then use one cup of milk for the custard.
This is a really old recipe that I cooked when I was a teenager, altered of course for today’s tastes and converted to cook in the steam oven for you all to enjoy 🙂
Ingredients: Serves 4*
1 heaped tbsp soft butter
½ cup castor sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 very heaped tbsp good quality cocoa. I used ‘Josephine’s’ but any good brand is OK.
1 heaped tbsp self-raising flour
2 level tbsp coconut
¾ cup milk
Grated dark 70% dark chocolate to serve
- Grease 4 x ¾ cup ramekins or small pudding basins well and set aside.
- Mix the softened butter into the sugar, set aside.
- Separate eggs, place whites into a separate bowl.
- Sift cocoa, flour and salt together into a medium size bowl with a pouring lip or jug. Add coconut and set aside.
- Just before you are ready to cook, whip egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg yolks into sugar mixture, mix well.
- Slowly fold in milk mixing well.
- Stir in flour mixture and pour into greased dishes.
- Place into the solid steamer tray, group together and cover with one piece of baking paper that should be wide enough to be tucked down the sides of the containers.
- Steam @ 100°C for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, top with grated dark chocolate and serve with pouring cream. Yum!